Editor Andrew Arnott
Andrew studied Literature and Sociology at UCT before setting off on a global trek that saw him working under the seas of the Caribbean, on the snow covered slopes of the Canadian Rockies and writing for a variety of financial and travel institutions. Now at home in Cape Town, Andrew’s passions for wine and writing are married on this blog.
Subscribe to PressJuiceFor Infrequently Flighted Flagstone News
Flagstone Wins 2018 Winemaker of the Year Award Posted on December 21 2018 by
Another fantastic achievement for Gerhard and the Flagstone winemaking team in a very successful year, what a brilliant way to close out 2018!
Wine-of-the-Month Club Annual Wine Awards 2018
Wine-of-the-Month Club celebrates SA’s best wines and their makers by selecting their annual winners in the different categories and handing out awards to the well deserving winners.
Every Monday throughout the year, the Wine-of-the Month Club Panel, made up of 12 expert tasters, taste different varietals and score each wine blind. Over the past year, the Wine-of-the-Month Club Panel has tasted 2 546 wines. The wines with the highest scores are then chosen to go into different Club selections. Every single wine is judged blind without the Panel knowing the farm, who the winemaker is, or seeing the label. They assess only based on what they taste in the glass. The best wines are selected and conveniently delivered to your door.
At the end of each year, the wines that have performed the very best are blind tasted again by the Panel and the trophy winners and Winemaker of the year is chosen.
The Wine-of-the-Month Club Annual Wine Award Winners for 2018 are:
Winemaker of the Year: Flagstone, Gerhard Swart
- Best MCC: Mooiplaas - Mooiplaas Duel n/v
- Best Chardonnay: Spier - Spier Private Collection Chardonnay 2015
- Best Sauvignon Blanc: Hermanuspietersfontein - Hermanuspietersfontein NR 5 Kat met die Hout Been Sauvignon Blanc 2014
- Best Chenin Blanc: Rijk's - Rijk's Reserve Chenin Blanc 2014
- Best Dry White Blend: DeMorgenzon - DeMorgenzon Maestro White 2015
- Best Merlot: De Wetshof - De Wetshof Thibault Merlot 2010
- Best Bordeaux Blend: Glen Carlou - Glen Carlou Classique 2015
- Best Pinotage: Alvi's Drift - Alvi's Drift Verreaux Pinotage 2015
- Best Cabernet Sauvignon: Nitida – Tokara Reserve Collection Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
- Best Shiraz: Allee Bleue - Allee Bleue Shiraz 2015