Dark Horse 2013
The Dark Horse is our touchstone, our mantra, our moving target, our other name, our dreams reflected. We think it's up there with the best Shiraz South Africa produces. Enjoy!
Shiraz grows like it wants to fly away. And the cautious farmer will mutter that nothing good will come from such a wild thing. But find the soil and climate to balance this effervescent nature and you have the chance of making something beautiful.
The wine has a dark, rich plummy colour going over to purple rim. The nose is filled with ripe blackcurrants and mulberry, supported by subtle spicy undertones of cinnamon and cloves.
The complexity on the nose flows over to the pallet. The wine is big and round on entry with smooth and silky tannins that show well even though the wine is still young. Flavours of ripe mulberry and rich dark chocolate lingers on the palate together with flavours of sweet spice and toasted oak.
Love For Dark Horse 2013
- Gold 2015 IWC
- 4.5 Stars 2014 Platter’s South African Wine Guide
- Gold 2014 Sommelier Wine Awards
- Bronze 2014 IWC
- Bronze 2014 Decanter Awards
- Double Gold 2014 Michelangelo International Wine Awards
- Silver 2014 IWSC
- Gold 2013 Michelangelo International Wine Awards
- 4 Stars 2013 Platter’s South African Wine Guide
- Silver 2013 Catavinum World Wine & Spirits Competition
- Double Gold 2013 Veritas
- Bronze 2013 Sommelier Wine Awards
- Bronze 2013 IWC
- Gold 2012 International Wine Challenge Catavinum
- Bronze 2012 Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show
- Bronze 2012 IWC
- Bronze 2012 Decanter Awards
- Gold 2012 Veritas
- Gold 2012 Mundus Vini International Wine Awards
- Silver 2012 Michelangelo International Wine Awards
- Top 100 2011 SA Top 100 Wines
- Silver 2011 IWSC
- Gold 2010 Veritas
- Silver 2010 Michelangelo International Wine Awards
- Top 10 2010 WINE Magazine Shiraz Challenge
- 4 Stars 2010 WINE Magazine
- Bronze 2010 Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show
- Silver Best in Class 2010 IWSC
- Gold 2009 Veritas
- Silver 2009 Michelangelo International Wine Awards
- Bronze 2009 Decanter Awards
- Silver 2009 Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show
- 4 Stars 2009 John Platter Wine Guide
- Bronze 2009 Veritas
- 2008 SAA Wine Selection
- Bronze 2008 Decanter Awards
- Bronze 2008 IWSC
- Gold 2008 Veritas
- Gold 2005 Korea Wine Challenge
- Double Gold 2005 Veritas
- Gold 2005 Michelangelo International Wine Awards
- 2005 SAA Wine Selection
- 100% Shiraz
Braised lamb shank served with parsnip mash, sweet baby onions and a red wine jus.
Rare botswana beef with a green peppercorn sauce, a tomato and basil salad, a baby potato and red onion vinaigrette, and steamed green beans.
A dark, herby guineafowl casserole or an oxtail stew.
A cheese sandwhich, but a perfect cheese sandwhich; made with artisanal sourdough and aged, crumbly cheddar.
Friends who've known each other for years and don't get much chance to catch up, Johnny Cash in the background with memories and laughter.
Also capable of awakening ghosts of long-gone tensions and attractions.
This is a well-named, slightly dangerous wine, which might just unblock emotional reservoirs. Perfect for drinking with your lover, established or illicit.
- Alcohol 14.56%
- Residual Sugar 2.1 g/l
- Total Acid 6.2 g/l
- pH 3.47