Dark Horse Shiraz 2014
The Dark Horse is our touchstone, our mantra, our moving target, our other name, our dreams reflected. We think it's up there with the best Shiraz South Africa produces. Enjoy!
What’s in a Name?
We are inspired by our country, our people and our winelands. That’s why we give our wines special names. We hand-pick our delicious grapes in the quiet, cool of early morning. Lovingly tendered fermentation takes place in open top fermenters, using ancient wine crafting methods. This ensures delicious, age-worthy wine with a silky structure and a brooding, mysterious nature, capable of surprising you with its power and energy – a real Dark Horse!
Shiraz grows like it wants to fly away. And the cautious farmer will mutter that nothing good will come from such a wild thing. But find the soil and climate to balance this effervescent nature and you have the chance of making something beautiful.
Dark, rich plummy colour.
Complex combination of dark fruits, white pepper, dark chocolate and a hint of mint supported by subtle spicy undertones.
The complexity on the nose flows over to the palate. The wine is big and round on entry with silky smooth tannins. Rich, ripe fruit on the back palate combined with a well-balanced acidity is responsible for a lingering finish and rounds off a perfectly balanced wine.
85% American, 15% French oak in 25% new oak for 12-18 months.
Keep for 5-10 years.
Love For Dark Horse Shiraz 2014
- Gold 2016 Michelangelo International Wine Awards
- Gold 2015 IWC
- 4.5 Stars 2014 Platter’s South African Wine Guide
- Gold 2014 Sommelier Wine Awards
- Double Gold 2014 Michelangelo International Wine Awards
- Gold 2013 Michelangelo International Wine Awards
- 4 Stars 2013 Platter’s South African Wine Guide
- Double Gold 2013 Veritas
- Gold 2012 International Wine Challenge Catavinum
- Gold 2012 Veritas
- Gold 2012 Mundus Vini International Wine Awards
- Top 100 2011 SA Top 100 Wines
- Gold 2010 Veritas
- Top 10 2010 WINE Magazine Shiraz Challenge
- 4 Stars 2010 WINE Magazine
- Gold 2009 Veritas
- 4 Stars 2009 John Platter Wine Guide
- Gold 2008 Veritas
- Gold 2005 Korea Wine Challenge
- Double Gold 2005 Veritas
- Gold 2005 Michelangelo International Wine Awards
- 100% Shiraz
Kudu fillet with couscous and a red wine reduction.
Friends who've known each other for years and don't get much chance to catch up, Johnny Cash in the background with memories and laughter.
Also capable of awakening ghosts of long-gone tensions and attractions.
This is a well-named, slightly dangerous wine, which might just unblock emotional reservoirs. Perfect for drinking with your lover, established or illicit.
- Alcohol 14.5%
- Residual Sugar 3.7 g/l
- Total Acid 5.9 g/l
- pH 3.43